Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fourth of Jew-ly

The Fourth of July in my family consists of watching the Twilight Zone marathon and making sure my dog doesn't go crazy with thg loud noises of the fireworks. This particular Fourth of July was only a little bit different in that I finally finished one of the funniest books I have ever read, "The Know It All" by AJ Jacobs. The author had so many hilarious anecdotes about what he read it was amazingly exciting and quite the page turner. I can't say that I know the encyclopedia as well as he does, but I felt like he brought me along for the journey.

At around 9:30 I decided to take a shower and maybe lounge around, but instead I decided to call my friend Kasey and instead I rushed over to his house where we lit illegal sparklers (no fireworks in Lancaster) and just enjoyed the closing of the 230th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration. It's amazing to think that 230 years is a long time, but if you think about it, we're quite the young ones in the world. There are trees in the United States older than the country . I don't suppose we're going anywhere soon, but certain things this country is doing makes me question our moral values. We are supposed to always be on the cutting edge of what is moral and what is good, but rising gas prices, the War in Iraq, global warming, and lack of universal healthcare make me think different sometimes. The (supposedly) most advanced nation in the country can't provide healthcare for its citizens.

Oh well, on the bright side, I skipped the carrot cake and went for watermelon for breakfast this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoy your blogs. you really don't know what this 4th of july meant to me...i truly appreciated your company.

coffee today. yay.

Anonymous said...

You skipped the carrot cake?!?!