Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Inferiority Complex

Apple introduced the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros on Tuesday and as most of you know I have a MacBook Pro. I have loved my MacBook Pro ever since I got it, except for the whole dead on arrival thing from mid august, but that's another story. I had at the time of purchase the fastest Macintosh portable available and it felt damn good to be at the top, but now with the intro of the new MacBook Pros I feel somehow inadequate. These new models have the Core 2 Duo which sports a 64-bit processor (mine is 32-bit) at higher processing speeds. It also offers firewire 800, a bigger hard drive and more RAM for the same price I got mine. I mean I know technology has to get better, but why can't mine get better with it?

I guess this is just one of the steps of depreciation, it's quite sad really, how we invest so much in the best technology and four years later you'd be lucky to get $400 for that. It's worse than cars. The original Macintosh for instance sold at around $2,400 and that price today you could get something almost infinitely faster... Ah technology, it makes me wonder where we will be just a few years down the road. 500GB iPods, 2 TB laptop hard drives, Blu-ray (or HD-DVD) burners and wireless technology up to wazoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally know how you feel...I still have my G4 Powerbook...and I won't get another laptop until I graduate college.

Anonymous said...

Aww Benji, I promise I'll let you use mine when Leopard comes out and we can iChat. Savvy?