Monday, February 12, 2007

My Major

If you asked me in high school what my major in college would be, I would have answered "math" without much thinking. If you asked me my major just out of high school I would have said "business" with little effort. If you asked me once I moved in to my dorm I would have said "philosophy", but with hesitation. Depending on how well I know you I now answer with some ridiculous concentration (interpretive dance) or a "hell if I know" (for you reading this, the latter).

I feel almost completely overwhelmed and stressed with picking a major. I know I have time to think about it, but everyone already seems to know what they want and they have at least something to pursue. My roommate is a bioengineering major, besides meaning that he is about twenty billion times smarter than me, it also means he knows what requirements and breadth classes to take in order to graduate with that degree in hand. For me I am taking a hodgepodge of classes that I hope will someday get me a degree in something. I keep telling myself I am doing what I am supposed to do, get breadth out of the way and try to find something to fall in love with. It's not quite working. It's not that I don't like my classes, it's the opposite, I see myself enjoying all of the subjects I have taken so far.

I miss how in high school the schedule was hand picked for you and you knew exactly what classes and subjects you had to take to graduate. The problem here is that there are four sets of requirements before we can graduate. There are University of California requirements. UC Berkeley requirements, school requirements, and major requirements. I feel I am behind in everything because I haven't picked a major and I feel that when I do pick a major I will be behind all of the other people in that major because they probably knew freshman year. I figure I could always try to make it lucky and keep going like this and see if the classes I am taking fall into a major. Right now it just so happens I am closest to being an art history major. Go figure.

No comments: